Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Reading Notes; Inayat's Twenty Jataka Tales, Part A

The Guilty Dogs
I like this story a lot because it shows how we are quick to judge others, especially those that are different from us. The King in this story didn't even think to question the royal dogs for the crime they committed, but rather blindly ordered all the other dogs to be killed. He didn't think about the full story, nor would he have if the head chief hadn't brought it up. 

The Tortoise and the Geese
I have read this story before, about how the tortoise opened his mouth when he shouldn't have and that eventually led to his demise. However, this version of the story added onto the end by incorporating the story in a castle and having the King learn his lesson from the turtle's mistake. I love this story because it taught a lesson, and had another person learn from the previous character's mistake.

The Fairy and the Hare
I like this story because it showed true character. For me, a true sense of character or integrity means doing the right thing when no one is looking. All the animals did the right thing without knowing they were being watched by the fairy Sakka. If I rewrite this story I might just change the context and setting, but have that same underlying theme of judging one's true character.

The Golden Feathers
Wow, I read this story as well, but this version was so different in that the goose had a familial connection to the family! That made it even worse to realize that the mother took all of the feathers, since it was technically her own husband she was robbing (even though she didn't realize it). 

The Master's Test
This is another story in which the theme of "do the right thing, even when no one is watching" comes into play. Like the pupil said, "My self is always watching." Our conscious is always present, whether we want it to be or not, whether we realize it or not. If I were to rewrite this story or the one about the Fairy and the Hare, I would keep the theme present and maybe just change the mentor/mentee characters. 

Source: "There is no place wherein no one is watching" (pg. 81). 

Bibliography: Noor Inayat's Twenty Jataka Tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The One With Krishna as Rapunzel

***Check out the revised version of this story on my portfolio here !***  Long ago, on a rainy night, a demon named Putana slipped into t...