Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Reading Notes; Inayat's Twenty Jataka Tales, Part B

The Goblin Town
I read this story the last time we read the Jatakas, but this one was a different version and included a different plot story near the end of it. I realized I could rewrite this in any way I wanted, with different endings, different characters, or with switching the roles of the males and females in the story.

The Quarrelsome Quails
I like the theme in this story, which in my opinion, revolved around a sense of karma. The quails quarrel all the time, but in the end it doesn't hurt anyone else except themselves and their friendship with each other. There are a lot of stories I could write about this; possibly about two friends constantly quarreling and what that could do to them, as well as the people around them. Oftentimes, people don't realize that what they're doing affects others as much, when in reality it actually does. 

The Forest Fire
I like the idea that a small creature was able to stand up to such a huge phenomenon. If I were to rewrite part of this story, I would change the characters to make the little goose a minority group and have the forest fire be an oppressing group and having the minority stand up to the oppressors. 

The End of The World
I had also read a different version of this earlier in the class, but I still really like the theme of it. It's important to observe all sides of a story before making any hasty decisions/assuming things about other things/people.

Source: "The little one was not afraid; he gazed steadily at the flames" (pg. 119).

Bibliography: Noor Inayat's Twenty Jataka Tales.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The One With Krishna as Rapunzel

    ***Check out the revised version of this story on my portfolio here !***  Long ago, on a rainy night, a demon named Putana slipped into t...