Thursday, November 2, 2017

Week 11 Story; The One Where Dumbledore Saves His Troop

A horcrux was located on the other side of a lake. Dumbledore, Parvati, and Padma all traveled across the lake in order to retrieve the horcrux and destroy it before Lord Voldemort could gain his full power. The trio knew that there were creatures that resided at the bottom of the lake, and as soon as they tried reaching for the horcrux, they would attack them. However, they were on a mission and they were going to see it through.

As they neared the land and found the spot where the horcrux was, they slowly circled the object. It was a golden necklace, at the bottom of a little fountain. They could sense the dark magic inside of it. Dumbledore, after much speculation, announced that they would have to drink all of the water in the fountain in order to take the horcrux out. Parvati volunteered to drink the water, but Dumbledore knew he had to do it. He had lived his life and he could handle not surviving this obstacle. Parvati and Padma, however, had so much more to do with their lives; they would be the ones that could find the other horcruxes and eventually kill Lord Voldemort. 

Before he began drinking the water, he mentioned that he might not be in the right state of mind after he takes the first sip, and that he might have hallucinations and never want to take another sip again, but that Parvati and Padma have to make him drink all of the water so that they can get the horcrux and leave the area. 

Just as Dumbledore said, he began stuttering and rambling on about dark thoughts as soon as he swallowed the first gulp of water. Parvati consoled him as Padma kept refilling the shell of water for Dumbledore to drink. With every sip, he got more and more distressed. Pretty soon, he was crying and begging for mercy. Though it pained them, the twins knew Dumbledore meant what he said earlier so they kept delivering water until the last drop was swallowed. Padma quickly grabbed the necklace and the twins jumped into the boat to get back to Hogwarts. However, Parvati's foot accidentally touched the water of the lake, which immediately prompted the creatures in the lake to  grab them as they were trying to row away. Dumbledore, who had still been sobbing until this point, suddenly told the twins to jump on his back. They did so, trusting their headmaster completely, and just as the boat was about to tip over, a phoenix flew above their heads. Dumbledore raised his hands over his head and clapped them on the phoenix's feathers, which transported the trio to Dumbledore's office within seconds and saved them from the evil they were surrounded by.

Source: The scene from Harry Potter where Dumbledore apparates with his phoenix. (Sorry about the weird quality and the long video - if I can figure out how to crop this I will update it)

Bibliograpy: Ellen C. Babbitt's How the Monkey Saved His Troop.

Author's Note: The Patil twins are back! So, I kinda based this off of one of the Jataka Tales, called How the Monkey Saved His Troop. The tale discussed how the King wanted to shoot the monkeys and gain all the mangoes for himself, but the Chief Monkey found a way to escape the King's men and save his entire troop. I used Dumbledore as the Chief Monkey because he is a highly respected character in the Harry Potter series. I changed a lot of the plot story in order to fit in the Harry Potter theme, but I kept the same theme as the previous story I wrote a few weeks ago (with Parvati and Padma as the main characters, instead of Harry). I think the ending was kind of abrupt, but I'm not sure how to fix that just yet; also, many Jataka Tales end abruptly so it kind of fits if you look at it in that regard. I hope you all liked the story! :-)

9 comments:

  1. Akriti,

    I had to pick your story to read because of the ties to harry potter. I also had read this story this week and was thinking about doing my own story on it. I thought it was cool how the king came back and said to leave the monkeys alone once he saved his troop from the archers. Great story and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Akriti.
    I really love the Harry Potter theme you did in your story. I literally watched Harry Potter right before I did this so as soon as I saw your story I had to pick it. I also really find it interesting that you made Parvati and Padma the main characters instead of Harry. All in all, it was a really good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akirti,

    You have done a great job with this story. I love the storyline, and especially that it is related to Harry Potter. I thought that your author's note did an excellent job of tying the original story to your retelling. Since I have knowledge on both the original story, and all things Harry Potter, I was very please by your author's note. These are so important for people who did not do the same readings as you, as we have so many options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Akriti,

    As I've said previously, I love how you are combining what we are reading in this class to Harry Potter. I think it is very creative and allows for a lot of fun possibilities with your writing. I know you stated that you were trying to come up with a better ending and I'm wondering if you could possibly add more to the story by getting to the scene in that movie where Snape kills Dumbledore? The chief tells the monkeys to hide just as Dumbledore tells Harry to hide in the half blood prince so I think there is a way for you to work with that part of the movie!

    cant wait to see what you choose to do with the story! I'll have to come back and read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Akriti, you have the most interesting project and blog for this class out of anyone that I have seen! I just LOVE Harry Potter and think that you must be so smart for being able to combine the series with an Indian epic. That's a lot of work! I'm glad I got to read about the Patil twins once again! Great job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Akriti,

    I think you did a great job on your story. I have never read the Harry Potter books nor seen the movies, but I like that you chose to base some of your stories off of something you really enjoy.
    And I agree about many of the Jataka tales ending abruptly, which makes it fitting that your story does as well.
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Akriti! I loved your story! I am such an absolute huge fan of Harry Potter. I've read all the books and seen all the movies so I was so excited that you incorporated that into your story. You are a very talented writer and I'm glad that I got to read your story! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Akriti!

    I loved the way you recreated the Jataka Tales into Harry Potter themed story. It felt like I was watching the movie all over again. My project is also based of Harry Potter, so I connected with you story very well. You were creative to add details of Horcrux into the stories. Good job and can't wait to keep reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Akriti!

    As usual fantastic job with your stories. I love that you always seem to put the epics in a pop culture context with your disney base stories or this Harry Potter own. I also just love Harry Potter so this one was particularly fun for me to read. I really like having the twins as the main focus of your stories instead of Harry. I think I works really well for your storytelling. Great job!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

The One With Krishna as Rapunzel

***Check out the revised version of this story on my portfolio here !***  Long ago, on a rainy night, a demon named Putana slipped into t...